GoHealthy Recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini
By Cheryl DeVine
Cooking Matters Assistant, Tarrant Area Food Bank
Casseroles are a favorite bake-and-take comfort food for friends, neighbors, potluck suppers or family dinners. Who can resist a warm, bubbly casserole? These one-dish wonders are often a complete meal in one dish, perhaps just needing a salad to round things out. They are affordable and can be partially prepared ahead of time and assembled and baked later to combine the savory flavors. This creamy, cheesy pasta dish is a healthier version of classic Tetrazzini. Using low-fat milk and a moderate amount of strong flavored cheeses keeps the savory flavor with less saturated fat. Mushrooms add a rich flavor and texture while peas add a pop of color and a fresh taste. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. Pull out your favorite casserole dish and give this recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini a try!
Recipe for Turkey Tetrazzini
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
8 cups cooked whole wheat ziti or penne
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups low-fat milk
1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups mushrooms
2 cups cooked turkey breast, chopped
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Using a dish towel, gently wipe mushrooms clean and slice.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×9-inch baking dish.
3. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in flour. Cook and stir constantly for about 2 minutes.
5. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
6. Stir in mushrooms and reduce the heat. Cook and stir frequently for about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens and the mushrooms are softened.
7. Stir Parmesan cheese, pasta, turkey and peas into the milk mixture. Spoon into lightly greased dish.
8. Grate the cheddar cheese on top. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes or until it is bubbling at the edges and heated through. Season with pepper if desired.
Recipe provided by: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, USDA
TAFB distributes educational materials and recipes through our GoHealthy program. Learn more about our Nutrition Services.