Apple Carrot Soup
Apple Carrot Soup
Carrots and apples are a winning pair in this simple, comforting soup packed with nutrition!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium Golden Delicious apples
- 2 pounds carrots
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Fresh snipped chives for garnish
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 12 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Wash apples and carrots. Peel apples, cut each in half and remove core. Chop apples and carrots into 1-inch chunks.
- Add apples, carrots, broth, sugar, salt, ginger and 2 cups water to onions in Dutch oven. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat. Puree mixture in batches in food processer, blender or immersion blender until very smooth. Garnish with fresh chives.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Whenever cooking with apples, choose firm, tart varieties such as Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Jonagold, Fuji or Rome Beauty.
- It is cheaper to buy apples in bags, but only if they will be eaten within a week or two.
- Choose firm carrots free of cracks and discolorations.
- Store leftover soup, covered, in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- For longer leftover storage, put the soup into smaller storage containers and freeze. You can take it out and reheat frozen soup when you don’t have time to cook.
- Any ginger left over can be used in stir-fry recipes.
- Low sodium chicken broth may be used if you don’t need a vegetarian soup.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 130kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 3gFat: 3.5gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 410mgPotassium: 470mgFiber: 4gSugar: 14gCalcium: 40mgIron: 0.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!