Here's a lovely, simple dessert that will make your kitchen smell heavenly!
- 2 large ripe pears
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts
- Optional: yogurt or frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash fruit. Cut pears in half lengthwise. Cut out core with a melon baller or small spoon.
- Place pears cut sides facing up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, top with walnuts and drizzle 1/2 teaspoon honey over each half.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool a few minutes before serving. If desired, top with yogurt or frozen yogurt.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Some pears are better for baking than others. Bosc or Anjou pears will hold their shape well. Both are also delicious raw.
- Bartlett pears are juicy and delicious raw. These will turn mushy when cooked, so they are a good choice for making pear sauce or pear butter.
- Pears are ripe when the flesh just below the stem “gives” a little with light pressure. Reject those that are soft all over, as these are overripe.
- Instead of cinnamon, try an apple pie spice blend or pumpkin pie spice blend.
- If pears need more ripening, place them in a paper bag for a few days.
- Maple syrup can be used instead of honey.