Baked Tortilla Chips
Making tortilla chips from scratch will help you stretch your budget and reduce your sodium intake. This recipe provides a healthier way to make tortilla chips.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each corn tortilla into 6 wedges.
- Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with oil, or toss pieces in a large bowl with oil to coat both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in the oven until the tortilla pieces are crisp but not overly browned. This will take about 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Smart Shopping Tips
- When buying tortillas, it is important to look for ones that are whole grain. Corn tortillas are whole grain. White flour tortillas are not whole grain.
- When purchasing olive oil at the store, select a bottle that is at the back of the shelf. The bottles at the front of shelf are exposed to light, which can degrade the oil.
- Store your newly purchased oil in a dark and cool place. If you would like, you can refrigerate it. Olive oil will become solid when refrigerated, so bring it to room temperature before using, about 30 minutes.
- For a lower sodium option, try adding garlic salt, chili powder, red pepper or black pepper to the tortilla crisps.
- Sprinkle fat free or reduced fat cheddar cheese on the tortilla crisps to make nachos.
- Choose whole-wheat tortillas for another whole grain option.