Black Bean and Egg Tostadas
Black Bean Tostadas
An egg is a perfect addition to this classic Mexican dish. The high protein and fiber will fill you up and keep you satisfied until lunch.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 can low-sodium black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 2 green onions
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- While tortillas are baking, drain and rinse black beans. Mash black beans with cumin in a bowl until most beans are smashed and mixture is creamy. Slice avocado, dice tomato, chop green onions and finely chop cilantro.
- Remove tortillas from the oven. Spread 1/4 amount of smashed black beans onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of cheese. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and spray with cooking oil. Crack eggs into skillet and fry until white is set, but yolk is still creamy.
- Put one fried egg on top of black beans on each tostada.
- Top tostadas with fresh tomato, green onion, cilantro and avocado.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Avocados are ripe and ready to eat when they yield to light pressure.
- Unripe, hard avocados can be ripened quickly by placing in a paper bag for a day or two.
- If low-sodium beans are not available, regular beans may be used. Drain and rinse them well to reduce sodium.
- Any type of beans can be used such as kidney or pinto.
- Get creative! Top tostadas with any of your favorite vegetables and toppings. Leftover meat or chicken can be added for a hearty meal. Tostadas are also great for a quick snack or lunch.
- Baking fresh tortillas into crispy tostadas is cheaper and healthier than purchasing tostadas at the store.