Chili Bean Dip
Having a healthy dip ready for a snack or party is a must. This chili bean dip is easy to make and is a quick dish that is guaranteed to please.
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Wipe off the top of the bean can. Drain beans in a colander and rinse under running water. Drain.
- Place beans in a medium bowl and mash with fork or potato masher.
- Add the onion, chili powder and shredded cheese.
- Serve warm or cold with raw vegetables or tortilla chips.
Smart Shopping Tips
- When shopping for canned pinto beans, search for a low sodium variety. If low sodium beans are not available, drain and rinse canned beans to remove 40% of the sodium.
- If purchasing dry beans, make sure to soak them in water the night before. Cook them for an hour before using them in the recipe.
- Any variety of onions may be used in this recipe, but red onions are often used raw in salads as they tend to be sweeter and milder.
- Some great topping options include: fat-free sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt, black olives, sliced green onions and cilantro.
- If you are looking for a creamier dip, add a little bit of fat-free cream cheese.
- To add some more flavor, stir in some some pico de gallo or a little bit of salsa.