Cilantro Three Bean Salad
Try a new twist on a classic salad. This Latin-inspired dish offers the fresh flavor of herbs and a just a hint of heat. While the mild beans let the dressing take the lead, this recipe could be created with any canned beans you have on hand.
- 1 can (15-ounces) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 can (15-ounces) white beans
- 1 packages (10-ounces) frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 3 medium carrots
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Wipe off tops of cans. Rinse and drain canned beans. Wash all fresh produce. Chop or grate carrots. Seed and chop jalapeños. Dry cilantro with a paper towel and chop.
- For dressing, in a large bowl, whisk together cider vinegar, oil brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, white beans, lima beans, carrots, cilantro and the jalapeño peppers.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Smart Shopping Tips:
- Store brands of canned and frozen vegetables are a better value.
- Look for low or reduced sodium versions of canned vegetables.
- Fresh cilantro can be stored by placing the stems in a small jar with a little water in the bottom. Cover with a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator. The herbs will last a week or more.
- Use any variation of beans.
- Add other vegetables for added flavor and color.
- Instead oil and vinegar you can use light Italian dressing.
- Experiment with other fresh herbs such as parsley, basil or dill.
- Place in single-serve containers for family members to pack in their lunch boxes.