Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
Enjoy these delicious, fragrant muffins any time of year using canned pumpkin and frozen cranberries.
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and chop cranberries, set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour through allspice) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat oil, eggs and pumpkin together until well blended.
- Add the wet ingredients (pumpkin mixture) to the dry ingredients all at one. Stir just until moistened. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chopped cranberries.
- Spoon into 12 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Cranberries can be purchased in season and frozen for later use. Store in plastic bags labeled with the date for up to a year.
- Berries should be sorted and washed before use. Discard shriveled, mushy or discolored berries.
- Be sure to choose canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling, which is seasoned and sweetened.
- Instead of cinnamon and allspice, try an apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice blend.
- Add some chopped nuts for protein and crunch.
- Thaw and drain frozen cranberries before using.
- Make a double batch and freeze some for breakfast on the go.