Deep Dish Apple Cranberry Pie
Cranberries and apples are a perfect sweet-tart combination for this delicious homemade dessert. Using one crust reduces the fat but the sweet goodness of fruit will please everyone!
- 4 large, tart apples
- 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- dash ground cloves or ginger
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash fruit. Sort berries and discard any shriveled or discolored berries. Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
- Combine fruit, sugar, flour and spices in a medium bowl.
- Place mixture in a 10-inch deep dish pie pan.
- Place crust on top of the fruit mixture. Cut three or four slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. Serve warm.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Whenever cooking with apples, choose firm, tart apples such as Granny Smith, Jonagold or Braeburn. These apples are often a little larger than eating apples and they maintain their texture when cooked.
- Cranberries can be purchased in season and frozen for later use. Store in plastic bags for up to a year.
- Berries should be sorted and washed before use. Discard shriveled, mushy or discolored berries.
- One teaspoon of apple pie spice blend can be used instead of the spices listed in the recipe.
- Serve with a scoop of frozen yogurt.
- Sprinkle top of crust with a little cinnamon and sugar before baking.