Dried Cherry Cake
Dried Cherry Cake
This easy to prepare cake pairs wonderfully with tea or coffee. It is a delightful hospitality treat for friends or as dessert with family.
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop dried cherries. Combine in a bowl with hot water and almond extract: let stand 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry between layers of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and 1 cup white sugar. Add yogurt, eggs and oil. Stir well. Fold in cherries. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon sugar and pecans. Sprinkle on top of batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before servings. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Flavored yogurts will vary in added sugar, so compare the nutrition facts panel and choose a variety with less added sugar.
- Canola oil is a good choice for baking because of its very light flavor. Choose the store brand which will often be cheaper than a national brand.
- Use half whole wheat flour to boost fiber and nutrition.
- You can substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract. Use twice the amount called for in the recipe.
- Lite sour cream can be used in place of yogurt.
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 250kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 3gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 150mgSugar: 19gCalcium: 70mgIron: 0.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!