A quick, family-pleasing main dish! Add any extra veggies that you like, or swap out half the meat with beans to stretch your food dollar!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 can (15-ounces) low-sodium corn
- 1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Optional: salsa or taco sauce
- Wipe off tops of cans. Drain corn. Do not drain tomatoes.
- Wash and chop pepper and onion.
- Cook meat, pepper and onion until meat loses all pink color and temperature reaches at least 160 degrees. See tip below.
- Drain juice and fat from cooked meat and onions.
- Add corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning and rice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Top with grated cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- If desired, serve with salsa or taco sauce.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Be sure to check the “sell by” dates when buying meat to ensure freshness.
- If you find a good price on ground meat, stock up! Place recipe-sized portions in a freezer-safe bag, squeeze out the air, label with the date and freeze for up to six months.
- Use brown rice for more fiber.
- Cooked rice freezes well. Cook a large batch and freeze recipe-ready portions.
- Taco seasoning may contain unwanted additives and a lot of salt. Try making your own and store in an airtight container:
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt