Garbanzo-Stuffed Mini Peppers
Garbanzo Stuffed Mini-Peppers
These garbanzo-stuffed mini peppers make for a delicious and easy snack or appetizer. They are also a great side dish for parties and pot-lucks.
- Food processor
- 1 can (15-ounce) garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 miniature sweet peppers
- Wipe off the top of the garbanzo bean can. Drain and rinse beans.
- Wash peppers and cilantro leaves. Pat dry.
- In a food processor, place cumin powder, garbanzo beans, cilantro, water, vinegar, and salt.
- Pulse the mixture in the food processor for 30 seconds to one minute, or until blended.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membranes.
- Spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
- Top with cilantro to garnish, and refrigerate until serving.
Smart Shopping Tips
- You can keep leftover cilantro fresh longer by wrapping a damp paper towel around the bottom of the stems and placing in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- If no-salt added or reduced sodium garbanzo beans are not available, rinsing them under running water will reduce the total amount of sodium by about half.
- You can replace the cilantro with fresh basil or Italian or curly parsley.
- You can bring out more of the flavor of the ground cumin, through “blooming.” This is done by mixing the powder with a liquid (water, vinegar, etc.) until it forms a paste, then heat it over medium heat on an oiled pan until the liquid has evaporated. Make sure to remove the powder from the heat quickly afterwards to prevent burning.
Serving: 0.5pepperCalories: 25kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 0.8gSodium: 40mgPotassium: 90mgFiber: 0.8gSugar: 2gCalcium: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!