Garden Sloppy Joes
Garden Sloppy Joes
This classic sandwich is given a healthy upgrade by adding fresh vegetables to the mix. Kids and adults alike will enjoy getting messy with this tasty, nutrition-packed meal.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 pound ground turkey (or lean beef)
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) petite diced tomatoes (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 6 whole wheat burger buns
- Wipe off tops of cans. Peel and dice onion. Wash and grate carrot. Remove core and seeds from bell pepper and chop. Gently scrub mushrooms with a clean towel or paper towel to remove any dirt. Roughly chop mushrooms into small pieces.
- Cook ground turkey or beef in a large sauté pan until browned and cooked through. Drain excess fat; remove ground meat from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté onion, carrot, pepper and mushrooms over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ground meat back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Heat until bubbling, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for 3-5 minutes more, stirring frequently, until sauce is thick. Serve open-face on toasted whole wheat buns.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Try replacing half of the meat in the recipe with beans such as black beans or a whole grain such as brown rice. This will save you money, reduce the fat and increase the fiber.
- Any color of bell pepper may be used, but green is usually the cheapest.
- Compare labels of bottled barbecue sauce and look for one with less sugar.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-5 days, or freeze for up to 4 months.
- Adding vegetables to this family favorite is a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your meals. It’s also a great way to use up leftover vegetables or produce that is about to spoil.
- Try topping your sloppy joe with homemade coleslaw for extra crunch.
Serving: 1sandwichCalories: 310kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 22gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 570mgPotassium: 705mgFiber: 6gSugar: 17gCalcium: 80mgIron: 3.6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!