Green Bean and Garbanzo Bean Salad
This is a quick, crowd-pleasing addition to any picnic or family gathering. Garbanzo beans, also called chickpeas, are packed with protein and fiber.
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 can (15.5-ounce) garbanzo beans
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Wash beans and trim ends. Cut into 2-inch lengths. Peel and finely chop red onion and garlic.
- Wipe off top of garbanzo bean can. Drain and rinse beans.
- Steam green beans until tender-crisp, about 7 minutes.
- Place steamed green beans and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, chopped garlic, basil, salt, pepper and oil.
- Add dressing to bean mixture and stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Purchase green beans that are firm enough to snap when bent. Avoid any that are browning or limp. Buying beans in bulk allows you to pick the best ones.
- When purchasing canned vegetables, check the label for “no salt added” or “reduced sodium” if available. Rinsing canned vegetables for 3 minutes reduces about half of the salt.
- Frozen green beans work well in this recipe. Cook according to package directions and drain before adding to garbanzo beans.
- Fresh basil may be used instead of dry. When using fresh herbs, use 1 tablespoon fresh for one teaspoon of dry.
- Any heart-healthy oil may be used. Olive oil and safflower oil are good choices.
- Use any type of vinegar that you prefer.