Vegetable side dishes don’t need to be complicated to be delicious or healthy. Pantry staples such as canned vegetables can be combined with herbs and savory vegetables for a delicious twist on plain canned veggies.
- 1 can (16 ounces) mixed vegetables
- 1/4 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Wipe off top of vegetable can. Drain vegetables, saving two tablespoons of liquid.
- Chop onion; peel and mince garlic. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add chopped onion, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the drained vegetables and reserved liquid. Cook and stir until heated through.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Look for low sodium varieties of canned vegetables. If low sodium cans are not available, drain and rinse vegetables to reduce sodium (salt) by half.
- Store brands of canned vegetables and fruits are cheaper than commercial brands and are the same quality.
- Select cans that are not dented or damaged.
- Experiment with fresh herbs such as basil and parsley. Stir in fresh herbs at the end of cooking. If using dry herbs, add them at the beginning of cooking.
- Add some chopped red pepper for color and extra flavor.
- If you prefer spicy vegetables, add half of a minced jalapeño pepper.