Jiffy Oatmeal Crunch
Try this easy to make at home granola bar. Not only is it fast and delicious, you don’t have to worry about the undesirable ingredients sometimes found in packaged bars. It also freezes well so make two batches!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups uncooked quick oats
- 1 cup raisins
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large skillet, melt butter and brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, baking soda, oats and raisins.
- Spread into pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool; cut into squares.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Try buying cereals, nuts and dried fruit in bulk if available in your local store. This often saves money as packaging is not wasted. It also allows you to buy just the amount you’ll use in a reasonable amount of time.
- The flavor options for this recipe are practically endless. Try adding all kinds of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and maybe even a little dark chocolate until you have your own secret recipe.
- Try substituting canola oil for the butter to reduce saturated fat.
- Crumble bars and use as a topping for yogurt, fruit, pudding or frozen yogurt.