Lo’s Blueberry Coffee Cake
Lo's Blueberry Coffee Cake
A delicious and moist coffee cake bursting with fresh blueberries! With its crumbly topping and walnuts, you would never guess it is made with healthier ingredients!
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Cooking oil spray
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Position rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, milk, yogurt, oil, cinnamon and lemon peel.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add to the liquid ingredients, stirring very lightly just until ingredients are moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter into an 8- or 9-inch baking pan coated with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Fresh berries should be sorted and washed just before use. Discard shriveled, mushy or discolored berries.
- Frozen blueberries can be used instead of fresh. Read the label and make sure they don’t have any added sugar. Thaw and drain before using.
- Blueberries can be purchased in season and frozen for later use. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, freeze and transfer to a freezer-safe plastic bag. Label with the date and store for about six months.
- Instead of cinnamon, try an apple pie spice blend.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- Make a double batch and freeze one for later.
- Serve with a scoop of frozen yogurt.
- To zest a lemon, use the side of a grater with smaller holes and take off only the yellow outer peel of the lemon. Turn it as you grate so you don’t include the white part underneath which can be bitter.
Serving: 1pieceCalories: 280kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 5gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 410mgPotassium: 94mgFiber: 2gSugar: 22gCalcium: 150mgIron: 1.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!