Peter Pumpkin Squares
Indulge in this cinnamon-spiced pumpkin dessert. A healthy way to warm you up during the fall. It is a simple and easy to make recipe that is also a delectable slice of sweet heaven.
- 1 can (15-ounces) pumpkin
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs and oil. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture. Stir well.
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into 24 bars.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Purchasing canned pumpkin is a smart choice, since it is less expensive and less of a hassle to use than baking and mashing the pumpkin yourself. Select canned pumpkin that is 100% pumpkin.
- Steel-cut oats, rolled oats and quick oats have the same nutrition. They are processed differently and have different textures. When baking it is best to use the type called for in the recipe for proper texture.
- Old fashioned oats are less expensive when bought in bulk and less expensive than buying individual packets of oats.
- Try adding more spices to your pumpkin squares such as nutmeg and ginger.
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans as a topping.
- To cut down on added sugar, use half of the suggested brown sugar amount.
- Add dried fruit to the pumpkin mixture for tartness.