The original version of this recipe comes from Food Network’s Ree Drummond, also known as The Pioneer Woman. Our shortcut, using canned pork, reduces preparation and cooking time from over 10 hours down to just 30 minutes and still tastes awesome.
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (24-ounces) pork with juices
- 1 large onion
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Mix all dry spices and brown sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Remove pork from the can, reserving canned juices, and break it up on a cutting board.
- Rinse and chop onion.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add pork and warm through. Add spice mixture and stir.
- Add reserved canned juices and use a spatula to scrape up any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Add barbecue sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Toast hamburger buns and use 1/4 cup of the pork mixture per sandwich.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Try buying day old bread products, especially when recipes call for toasted buns, like this one does. Day old bread is also great for making your own croutons, bread crumbs, or bread pudding and improves the texture in French toast recipes.
- Save money when you buy spices from the bulk section. Not every store offers bulk, but the savings can be significant and may be worth a special trip to stock up.
- Substitute 1 pound leftover pork roast or cooked ground pork if canned pork is not available.
- Serve with 1/2 a cup of your favorite vegetables for a great MyPlate meal.
- Consider doubling the recipe and freezing enough for another meal. Place portions into freezer bags and freeze flat to maximize storage space. Then thaw and reheat in the microwave for a faster-than-fast-food meal.
Serving: 1sandwichCalories: 570kcalCarbohydrates: 76gProtein: 19gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 2900mgPotassium: 420mgFiber: 6gSugar: 43gCalcium: 180mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!