Hot, steaming oatmeal is a welcome eye-opener on chilly mornings. This is like pumpkin pie in a bowl, but it can be enjoyed any time of the year!
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine water, milk, oats, pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the sugar and vanilla.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Old-fashioned or whole oats look like flat discs. When processed, the whole grains of oats are first steamed to make them soft and pliable, then pressed to flatten them. With steel-cut oats, the whole oat grain is chopped. Steel-cut oats take longer to cook and have a chewier texture. Instant oats have been cooked and dehydrated.
- You can make your own pumpkin pie spice. Mix together 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves.
- Try adding different toppings, such as dried fruit, nuts, cinnamon or brown sugar.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 270kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 10gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0.5gSodium: 200mgFiber: 6gSugar: 21gVitamin A: 10000IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 200mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!