Roasting is a quick, tasty way to enjoy vegetables. Even picky eaters will enjoy them this way!
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash broccoli and pat dry. Cut into 3-inch stalk with florets.
- Line a large baking pan with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss broccoli with oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange broccoli spears in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes or until florets begin to turn brown, turning stalks over once midway through cooking.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Choose broccoli that looks fresh and green. Florets should be compact and firm, without yellowing. Stalks should be firm.
- Store broccoli unwashed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and use within a week.
- Frozen, thawed broccoli can also be roasted. Cooking time may be less. Frozen is a good option when fresh is out of season or lacking quality.
- Add a little dry Italian seasoning when tossing broccoli with oil.
- Another seasoning can be added before serving. Try one of these: lemon juice, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh snipped parsley or minced garlic.
- Any vegetable can be roasted this way. Dense vegetables such as carrots and potatoes will take longer than broccoli or Brussels sprouts.