A delicious, crunchy snack without the guilt! Roasted chickpeas are a healthy snack because they are loaded with fiber and protein, and low in fat and calories. Add sweet or savory seasonings to satisfy whatever you are craving!
- 1 can (15.5-ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas under running water. Pat dry with a clean towel.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spread chickpeas evenly over baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven 30-40 minutes until brown and crispy. Turn and stir every ten minutes or so to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and toss with seasoning. See below for suggestions.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Bulk dried chickpeas are much cheaper than canned. One pound of dried beans will make about 4-5 cans worth of cooked beans. After cooking, store can-size portions in baggies marked with the date in the fridge or freezer.
- Look for low-sodium canned chickpeas.
- You can add any variety of seasonings to create whatever flavor you are in the mood for. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sweet: honey & cinnamon; maple syrup & pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger)
- Savory: salt & pepper; garlic powder & Parmesan.
- “Ranch”: garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, fresh chives; cumin, paprika & chili powder
- Spicy: lime juice, chili powder & cayenne; brown sugar & cayenne