Get your daily dose of greens with this quick and delicious recipe that can easily compliment your favorite meal or can be added to casseroles, soups, pasta or rice dishes.
- 1 1/2 pounds collard greens
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Wash the greens thoroughly and cut stems away.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Dry greens well and tear into large pieces or slice across leaf into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large deep pot or skillet with a cover, saute garlic in oil. Add greens to pan with 1 cup water.
- Cover pan and steam over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high. Stir constantly until most of the water is gone. Add salt and pepper and continue to stir.
- Sprinkle cider vinegar on mixture.
- Cover and turn off heat. Let stand until ready to serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
- When buying collard greens, choose bunches with dark green leaves and no yellowing.
- Refrigerate collard greens in a plastic bag for up to 5 days to prevent them from dehydrating and becoming limp. Longer storage may result in bitter flavor.
- Wash greens just before using.
- Any type of greens can be prepared in this way.
- Use smoked paprika or a dash of liquid smoke for flavor in place of ham, bacon or salt pork.
- Experiment with different vinegars. Apple cider and rice vinegar work well with a variety of greens.
- Add onions, red and yellow bell peppers to greens for added texture and flavor.
- Drizzle with a small amount of lemon juice for added zest.