Sheet Pan Fajitas
Sheet Pan Fajitas
This quick and easy family pleasing meal will make fajita night at your home fun and tasty. Cleanup is a snap too!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- `2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, lime wedges, pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Wash peppers and onion. Slice into thin strips and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Combine oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Add bell peppers and onion and stir to combine. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to the prepared baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Roast on the middle rack for 15 minutes. Leave the pan there and turn the broiler to high. Broil until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables to brown in spots, about 5 minutes more. Remove from oven. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables in warmed tortillas (see tip below) accompanied by lime wedges and topped with cilantro, sour cream, avocado and/or pico de gallo, if desired.
Smart Shopping Tips
- If you are short on time, buy precut onions and peppers which are available in the fresh produce section of your local grocery stores.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs are often juicier and less expensive than boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Cooked chicken can be used in salads or other meals. Marinate chicken 2-3 hours in fajita seasoning for the biggest boost of flavor.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave: place 4 tortillas on a micro-wave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second bursts until warmed through. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Prepare this meal ahead of time by cutting chicken and veggies and storing them in separate plastic zipper-close bags.
- To reduce fat, use plain non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.