Kids will love helping make these fun and easy snacks. Pinwheels can be made with a variety of ingredients, and the herbs and spices in this recipe give them a tasty southwest flavor.
- 2 scallions
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- cup fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Set cream cheese out to soften for 15 minutes while you gather other ingredients .
- Wash scallions and slice very thin. Rinse and finely chop cilantro. Rinse spinach in cool water and let drain.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese, scallions, salsa, cilantro and cumin.
- Divide cream cheese mixture evenly between the 2 tortillas, then evenly spread mixture over each tortilla, being sure to spread the mixture all the way to the edges.
- Pat spinach dry with a clean towel if it is still wet. Lay spinach leaves in a single layer over the cream cheese mixture.
- Roll up tortillas tightly. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for up to 8 hours if prepping ahead.
- Before serving, remove wraps from plastic and cut into 1-inch slices. You will get 10 pinwheels from each wrap.
Smart Shopping Tips
- To save money on tortillas and other baked goods, buy in bulk when they are on sale and freeze extras. Thaw in the fridge or oven before using.
- Look for store brands of cheese, as these are cheaper than brand name varieties.
- Choose cilantro that is firm and bright green. Wrap a damp paper towel around the stems and store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will keep for about a week.
- Make ahead of time! Wrap finished, uncut rolls in plastic, then in foil, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, let thaw in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Frozen spinach can easily be used instead of fresh. Stir thawed, well-drained spinach into the cream cheese mixture before spreading on tortillas.
- Try flavored tortillas like spinach or tomato for a more colorful snack!
Serving: 5pinwheelsCalories: 160kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 6gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gSodium: 310mgPotassium: 188mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gCalcium: 80mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!