Start the day right with a healthy and easy egg dish. This omelet recipe is brimming with flavor. Hearty mushrooms, fresh bell peppers, and cheesy goodness will more than delight you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 medium mushrooms
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- Wash vegetables and wipe off any dirt from mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
- Chop onion, peppers and mushrooms. Grate carrot.
- In a nonstick pan on medium heat, add oil.
- Add onion and saute until golden. Add the rest of the vegetables and saute until they are tender, but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat eggs and cheese. Stir egg and cheese mixture into the pan with cooked vegetables.
- Reduce heat. Cover and cook until eggs are firm, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Green bell peppers are typically less expensive than red, orange or yellow, but they all work well in this recipe.
- Many vegetables are great to spread across multiple recipes. Plan your meals for a few days and use leftover veggies throughout the week.
- You can add salt, pepper or garlic powder to your egg and cheese mixture for extra flavor.
- Any vegetables can be switched out or added depending on what you like.
- If you don’t have olive oil, cooking spray or another vegetable oil will work as well.
- Swap out the part skim mozzarella with fat free or reduced fat cheddar cheese.