Quick Spanish Rice
This simple, spicy side dish is a fresh alternative to packaged rice mixes, which may contain a lot of salt and artificial ingredients.
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15-ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. If desired, mash tomatoes with potato masher.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer about 40 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Instant rice has been cooked and dried. It is convenient, but regular uncooked rice is of better value.
- Look for reduced sodium varieties of canned stewed tomatoes. Store brands are usually cheaper than national brands.
- Experiment with other seasonings your family likes. You could add a little chili powder, salsa or chopped jalapeño for extra kick.
- Stir in some cooked, lean meat for a main dish. Grilled chicken, lean ground beef or turkey smoked sausage would be good choices.
- Make a double batch and freeze in portion sizes for busy times when you need a quick meal.
- If you don't have garlic salt, use 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.