Spiced Pumpkin Bread
Spiced Pumpkin Bread
This recipe makes two fragrant, spicy loaves: one for your home and one for giving. Homemade baked treats are a thoughtful gift and are also kind to your budget. Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture.
- In a separate medium bow combine sugar, milk, oil, vanilla extract, eggs and pumpkin. Stir well with a fork or whisk.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle tops with walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool loaves in pans 10 minutes then remove from pans. Cool completely before slicing into 12 slices per loaf.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Be sure to buy canned pumpkin that is 100% pumpkin instead of pumpkin pie filling, which is already sweetened.
- Canola oil is a good choice for cooking because it is a heart-healthy fat, has a very light flavor and tolerates heat well. It is also low cost, particularly if you buy the store brand.
- When measuring brown sugar, always pack it down firmly in the measuring cup.
- You can make your own pumpkin pie spice blend:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 160kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 3gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 150mgPotassium: 150mgFiber: 2gSugar: 13gCalcium: 40mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!