Succotash is a traditional vegetable dish made with lima beans and corn. This recipe includes fresh seasonal vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini and summer squash.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 can (15.25-ounce) corn (or 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash all fresh vegetables. Dice onion, bell pepper, zucchini and yellow squash into small, equal pieces. Peel and mince garlic. If using canned corn, wipe off top of lid and drain and rinse corn.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes, then add garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, lima beans and corn.
- Season with sage, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Smart Shopping Tips
- When buying oils, canola, olive and peanut oils are affordable and healthy choices. Buy a smaller bottle and store in the fridge to keep it fresh longer.
- Zucchini and squash are abundant throughout the summer. Look for squash that are firm, medium sized and heavy for their weight. They should have smooth skin without scratches, bruises or wrinkled skin.
- Try making this dish with fresh corn and lima beans if they are in season.
- Succotash typically begins with lima beans and corn, but you can add any of your favorite vegetables or seasonings.
- Fresh sage may be used instead of dried. Double the amount of fresh than the recipe calls for.
- Red bell pepper gives more color to the dish, but it is usually a little more expensive than green.
Serving: 1cupCalories: 130kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 6gFat: 0.5gSodium: 230mgPotassium: 470mgFiber: 6gSugar: 3gCalcium: 40mgIron: 1.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!