Swedish Baked Beets
Swedish Baked Beets
Enjoy this fresh and flavorful recipe courtesy of the TAFB Kitchen Garden Cooking School. This delightfully simple recipe is the perfect combination of flavors and textures that will have you coming back for more.
- 6-8 small beets
- 2 red onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream or nonfat Greek yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub and rinse beets. Pat all produce dry.
- Wrap unpeeled beets in foil, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Close the foil, put in a roasting pan and roast until tender. This may take up to an hour based on the size of your beets.
- Peel and slice red onion into chunky wedges.
- Put the onion wedges in a pan, drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 23-30 minutes until the tips are slightly singed.
- When the beets are tender, peel the beets and cut into bite-size wedges.
- Place on a serving dish with the onions and top with fresh dill.
- Serve hot with sour cream on the side.
- Use Golden or Chioggia beets for a variety in color.
- White onion may be used instead of red.
- Substitute parsley for the dill.
- Add some horseradish for a spicy kick.
Smart Shopping Tips:
- Choose beets that are heavy for their size with no large dents or nicks.
- Crisp greens are an indicator of freshness.
- Check your recipe to see if it calls for beet greens as well. Some beets are sold with the greens and some without.
Cooking and Serving Tips:
- Beets should be thoroughly washed, especially if eaten raw. Some soil may remain on the root and should be scrubbed away before consuming.
- Techniques commonly used for preparing beets are baking, boiling, roasting, steaming and including in soups.
- Beets work well with the flavors and textures in these foods: apples, basil, butter, caraway seeds, cheese, chervil, chives, dill, garlic, honey, horseradish, lemon, olive oil, onion, orange, parsley, pepper, pistachios, salt, shallots, sour cream, sugar, tarragon, vinegar, walnuts and yogurt.