Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet Potato Fries
Oven roasted fries are a delicious, healthy alternative to french fries. These can be made with any variety of potato and seasoned with your family’s favorite herbs and spices. They also cost a lot less than packaged frozen fries!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun Creole seasoning
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash sweet potatoes, trim ends, and cut off any bad spots.
- Cut potatoes into 3 or 4-inch long and 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Place oil and seasoning in a large bowl. Add sweet potato strips and mix to coat thoroughly.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil spray. Arrange potato strips on prepared sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 15-20 minutes or until tender.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Look for sweet potatoes that feel heavy for their size and have no bruises, soft spots, or sign of sprouting. They look tough, but will bruise easily.
- Sweet potatoes are not actually yams although it is a commonly used name. True yams are grown in Africa, are drier and have more starch.
- One teaspoon of cayenne combined with 1 teaspoon of chili powder can be used in place of the Cajun Creole seasoning. Experiment with other seasonings such as garlic or onion powder.
- For a sweet taste, you can use cinnamon sugar instead of Cajun Creole seasoning.
- Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place. Do not refrigerate.
- White, red or yellow potatoes may also be cooked this way.
- Try a dipping sauce made with 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise, 1/4 cup Dijon mustard and 2 tablespoons honey.
Serving: 0.5cupCalories: 220kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 5gFat: 2gSodium: 80mgPotassium: 1175mgFiber: 7gSugar: 15gCalcium: 80mgIron: 1.4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!