Veggie Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast tacos are a tasty way to add veggies to your meal. This recipes calls for sweet potatoes and black beans, but you could add any of your family’s favorite vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 can (15.25-ounce) black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small whole grain or corn tortillas
- Chopped tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Wash and peel sweet potato, then shred with a grater or chop into small pieces. Wipe off top of can and rinse and drain black beans.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shredded or chopped sweet potato, cumin and cayenne. Sauté until sweet potato is tender (1-2 minutes for shredded; 5-6 minutes for chopped). Add black beans, stir and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- While black beans and sweet potatoes are cooking, whisk together eggs, milk, and salt and pepper.
- Remove sweet potato mixture from skillet and set aside. Add eggs to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until eggs are mostly set. Remove skillet from heat.
- Assemble tacos by adding about 1/4 cup of scrambled eggs and 1/4 cup of sweet potato mixture. Top with tomato, cilantro and avocado, if using.
Smart Shopping Tips
- When purchasing sweet potatoes, look for those that feel heavy for their size and have no bruises, soft spots or sign of sprouting. Store them in a dark, cool place for up to one week. Do not refrigerate.
- Try a breakfast taco bar for a weekend brunch! Make a batch of scrambled eggs, and let kids add any of their favorite vegetables and toppings.
- Make tacos ahead of time and keep them in the freezer. Wrap finished taco in foil, then freeze. To reheat, remove foil and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced avocado and finely chopped cilantro for added flavor and nutrients.