Yellow Split Peas with Cauliflower
This Indian-inspired dish will fill your home with the delightful fragrance of cumin and turmeric. In addition to tasting wonderful, these spices are both known for some pretty impressive health benefits.
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Sort yellow split peas, removing any that look bad and rinse under cold water. Set aside to drain.
- Add 3 cups water and salt to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil, add split peas and stir. Once the water begins to boil again, reduce heat to low and simmer with the lid cracked to vent steam. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- While the split peas are cooking, wash produce. Remove seeds and finely chop jalapeno. Cut cauliflower into florets. Set frozen peas out to start to thaw.
- Once the split peas are tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seed, turmeric and jalapenos. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower and broth. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes to steam florets. Add split peas and the thawed green peas. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally until hot and enjoy.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Use frozen cauliflower in place of fresh if more affordable.
- When available, buy spices from bulk bins and save big compared to individual bottles. This is especially good when you don’t often use a spice.
- Get this dish on the table faster by cooking the split peas ahead of time.
- Substitute ground cumin for the cumin seed.
- Replace jalapenos with any chile you have on hand. Each variety will give the dish a unique flavor.
- Use canned garbanzos or black beans in place of frozen peas.
- A bit of fresh chopped cilantro or parsley makes a great garnish.
- Perk up the flavor with a squeeze or two of lemon.
- Chicken broth may be used instead of vegetable broth if you aren’t preparing a vegan dish.