Here is a quick, tasty way to serve up the summer bounty of squash. This simple recipe can be seasoned any way your family prefers. Quick cooking methods like stir-frying preserve the nutrients and color.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash salt, to taste
- Wash all produce. Peel the onion and cut it into thin slices.
- Slice the yellow squash and zucchini into thin round pieces. Chop red pepper. Finely chop garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion slices. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring quickly for 1 minute.
- Add yellow squash, zucchini, red pepper and garlic. Stir in the black pepper, basil, oregano and salt.
- Stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
Smart Shopping Tips
- Choose squash that is firm with smooth skin that doesn’t look shriveled. The skin is very thin and may have a few nicks and cuts. Avoid any with mold or soft spots.
- Smaller squash will have fewer seeds and be more tender than larger squash.
- Store squash in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will keep for 10 days or so, depending upon freshness at time of purchase.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning in place of oregano and basil.
- Add in any vegetables you have on hand, such as tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Stir in a few tablespoons of salsa for a little spice.
- Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Toss in some chopped fresh herbs at the end of cooking, such as parsley or basil.
Serving: 0.5cupCalories: 70kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 2gFat: 4gSodium: 150mgPotassium: 376mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gCalcium: 20mgIron: 0.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!