National Nutrition Month: Go Further with Food
Join us as we celebrate National Nutrition Month. Each March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics focuses nationwide attention on healthful eating through National Nutrition Month. The theme for 2018 is “Go Further with Food.”
Help your food dollar go further by planning meals and snacks in advance. Begin by keeping track of what you already have on hand. Check your pantry, freezer and refrigerator and plan your weekly menu to take advantage of what you already have before making a shopping list. Buying only what you need keeps your budget on track and reduces food waste.
Here are five quick tips from the academy:
1. Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis. Think nutrient-rich rather than “good” or “bad” foods.
2. Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
3. Be mindful of portion sizes. Don’t “supersize.”
4. Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week. Thirty minutes a day is recommended but any activity is better than none!
5. Cut down on added sugar by choosing water instead of sweetened drinks.
Making nutritious food choices helps your body to go further and contributes to a better quality of life. Start by making small changes like eating whole fruit for a snack instead of chips or other packaged snacks. Slide in some extra veggies like lettuce and tomato slices into your sandwich at lunch. Choose lean protein like chicken without skin with your dinner. Small changes can add up to better nutrition and better health.
Helpful tips and healthful recipes are available through Tarrant Area Food Bank’s GoHealthy program. Recipes use basic, budget friendly ingredients with minimal fuss. Tips sheets include helpful information for more enjoyable, healthful living. For electronic copies, email: email@example.com. Learn more about our Nutrition Services work.
By Cheryl DeVine
Cooking Matters Program Assistant, Tarrant Area Food Bank