Saucy BBQ Chicken Thighs
BBQ chicken is always a family-pleasing meal. This slow-cooker version will also be a favorite for the cook. It’s great to come home to the wonderful aroma of a meal already prepared and ready to go!
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Wipe off tops of cans before opening. Chop onion.
Trim excess fat from chicken thighs.
Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Top with onion and tomatoes.
In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, orange juice and seasonings; pour over top.
Cook, covered, on high for 2 hours, or on low 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and the internal temperature of thickest part comes up to 165 degrees.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- It is a good idea to pick up chicken last when shopping so it stays at a safe temperature.
- Keep raw chicken separate from other foods in your cart, especially any raw or ready-to-eat foods. Make use of any available plastic bags to reduce the risk of cross-contamination.
- Compare nutrition facts labels of barbeque sauce, and choose one with less sugar. Brands will vary in sugar content.
- Serve over hot, cooked brown rice to add another food group and more fiber. If you prefer, serve over noodles to use all the tasty sauce.
- Make a double-batch of cornbread. Serve one with this recipe and freeze the other batch so it’s ready to go next time you make chili, soup or stew.
- Freeze any left-overs in single serve containers. Label with the date and use within 4 months for best quality.