Vegetable side dishes don’t need to be complicated to be delicious or healthy. Pantry staples such as canned vegetables can be combined with herbs and savory vegetables for a delicious twist on plain canned veggies.
- 1 can (16 ounces) mixed vegetables
- 1/4 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
Wipe off top of vegetable can. Drain vegetables, saving two tablespoons of liquid.
Chop onion; peel and mince garlic. Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add chopped onion, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the drained vegetables and reserved liquid. Cook and stir until heated through.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Look for low sodium varieties of canned vegetables. If low sodium cans are not available, drain and rinse vegetables to reduce sodium (salt) by half.
- Store brands of canned vegetables and fruits are cheaper than commercial brands and are the same quality.
- Select cans that are not dented or damaged.
- Experiment with fresh herbs such as basil and parsley. Stir in fresh herbs at the end of cooking. If using dry herbs, add them at the beginning of cooking.
- Add some chopped red pepper for color and extra flavor.
- If you prefer spicy vegetables, add half of a minced jalapeño pepper.