Chili Bean Dip
Having a healthy dip ready for a snack or party is a must. This chili bean dip is easy to make and is a quick dish that is guaranteed to please.
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
Wipe off the top of the bean can. Drain beans in a colander and rinse under running water. Drain.
Place beans in a medium bowl and mash with fork or potato masher.
Add the onion, chili powder and shredded cheese.
Serve warm or cold with raw vegetables or tortilla chips.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- When shopping for canned pinto beans, search for a low sodium variety. If low sodium beans are not available, drain and rinse canned beans to remove 40% of the sodium.
- If purchasing dry beans, make sure to soak them in water the night before. Cook them for an hour before using them in the recipe.
- Any variety of onions may be used in this recipe, but red onions are often used raw in salads as they tend to be sweeter and milder.
- Some great topping options include: fat-free sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt, black olives, sliced green onions and cilantro.
- If you are looking for a creamier dip, add a little bit of fat-free cream cheese.
- To add some more flavor, stir in some some pico de gallo or a little bit of salsa.