Start the day right with a healthy and easy egg dish. This omelet recipe is brimming with flavor. Hearty mushrooms, fresh bell peppers, and cheesy goodness will more than delight you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 medium mushrooms
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
Wash vegetables and wipe off any dirt from mushrooms with a damp paper towel.
Chop onion, peppers and mushrooms. Grate carrot.
In a nonstick pan on medium heat, add oil.
Add onion and saute until golden. Add the rest of the vegetables and saute until they are tender, but not brown.
In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat eggs and cheese. Stir egg and cheese mixture into the pan with cooked vegetables.
Reduce heat. Cover and cook until eggs are firm, about 20 minutes.
Cut into quarters and serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Green bell peppers are typically less expensive than red, orange or yellow, but they all work well in this recipe.
- Many vegetables are great to spread across multiple recipes. Plan your meals for a few days and use leftover veggies throughout the week.
- You can add salt, pepper or garlic powder to your egg and cheese mixture for extra flavor.
- Any vegetables can be switched out or added depending on what you like.
- If you don’t have olive oil, cooking spray or another vegetable oil will work as well.
- Swap out the part skim mozzarella with fat free or reduced fat cheddar cheese.