Ziti with Meat Sauce
Pasta is a classic comfort food made healthier by adding fresh veggies. It also freezes well for a quick meal on a busy day.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 cans (10-ounces) reduced fat and reduced sodium condensed tomato soup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces dried ziti pasta
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Scrub carrots and shred, using large holes on grater.
In a large pot, cook ground beef and shredded carrot over medium heat until meat is brown.
Drain off fat. Stir in tomato soup, water, uncooked ziti, dried basil (if using) onion powder and garlic powder into meat mixture in pot.
Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook about 20 minutes or until ziti is tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in fresh basil (if using) and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle individual servings with Parmesan cheese.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Fresh herbs can cost a pretty penny from the produce section of a grocery store. Experiment with growing your own. They’re easy and most can be grown in pots all year long.
- Fresh herbs should be added at the end of cooking time, while dried herbs are added at the beginning.
- Use lean ground chicken or turkey instead of beef.
- Make it a vegetarian dish by replacing the meat with white pinto beans or garbanzo beans. Add beans after the ziti has cooked 10 minutes.
- Instead of ziti pasta you can use whole grain penne pasta.