Vegetables don’t need to be bland and boring! Here’s a zesty, colorful vegetable salad which is a great addition to a picnic lunch or evening meal. You can substitute your favorite vinaigrette dressing if you have some on hand.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 can (8.75-ounce) corn
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro or coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Canned vegetables can be high in salt, also called sodium. Look for reduced-sodium varieties.
- When buying cucumbers, select those which feel firm and are dark green.
- Cucumbers can be stored at room temperature, but if you like them cold, wash and dry them thoroughly. Wrap in a dry towel and store on the top shelf of the refrigerator. Use within a few days.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Use a can of Mexican corn for a little more zest and color.
- Add a pinch of chili powder if you like more spice.
- Zucchini can be used instead of cucumber. Experiment with other vegetables your family likes.
- Leftover chopped peppers can be kept in the freezer for a quick addition to recipes. Place in freezer-safe bags, squeeze out as much air as possible and label the bag with the date. Use within six months.