Tuna Apple Salad
Keep a bowl of this crunchy salad in the fridge for a quick snack or lunch. This version of the family favorite uses Italian dressing instead of mayonnaise. It is a simple recipe which can be varied according to your family’s taste.
- 2 (5-ounce) cans chunk light tuna, packed in water
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 large apple
- 1 rib celery
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup "light" Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Chunk light tuna comes from skipjack tuna. It contains less mercury than albacore. For more information about mercury in fish, visit: https://www.fda.gov/food/consumers/advice-about-eating-fish
- Use any type of apple you like, depending upon what is in season. Granny Smith are very tart, while Pink Lady, Gala or Honeycrisp will be sweeter. Choose apples without bruises or blemishes.
- If you prefer, use reduced fat mayonnaise or mayonnaise-based dressing instead.
- Substitute finely chopped cucumber instead of celery.
- Add some dried dill weed or dill relish.
- Serve on a large, halved tomato.
- Try serving on sweet potato “toast.” Slice sweet potato into 1/4-inch slices and place in toaster until done, about 5 minutes.