Fruit and Yogurt Breakfast Shake
Smoothies are a quick way to get more servings of fruits and vegetables. They are a good option for breakfast because there is no cooking and you can take them with you. Beware of commercial smoothies which may contain a lot of sugar.
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup strawberries
Wash strawberries and remove green cap.
Blend banana with pineapple juice, yogurt and strawberries in a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Divide smoothies between 2 glasses and serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Bananas are often reduced in price when they become very ripe. These are perfect for smoothies.
- Fresh berries can be frozen for later use. Wash and spread out in a single layer and freeze. Place frozen berries in plastic bags and store in freezer for up to six months.
- Any berries in season can be used. Berries should be sorted and washed just before use. Discard shriveled, mushy or discolored berries.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Use any form of 100% juice.
- Add greens such as spinach or kale.
- Skim, soy or almond milk can be used.
- Use frozen berries when of season or prices are high for fresh.