A delicious, crunchy snack without the guilt! Roasted chickpeas are a healthy snack because they are loaded with fiber and protein, and low in fat and calories. Add sweet or savory seasonings to satisfy whatever you are craving!
- 1 can (15.5-ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Drain and rinse chickpeas under running water. Pat dry with a clean towel.
Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spread chickpeas evenly over baking sheet.
Roast in the oven 30-40 minutes until brown and crispy. Turn and stir every ten minutes or so to avoid burning.
Remove from oven and toss with seasoning. See below for suggestions.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Bulk dried chickpeas are much cheaper than canned. One pound of dried beans will make about 4-5 cans worth of cooked beans. After cooking, store can-size portions in baggies marked with the date in the fridge or freezer.
- Look for low-sodium canned chickpeas.
- You can add any variety of seasonings to create whatever flavor you are in the mood for. Here are a few suggestions:
- Sweet: honey & cinnamon; maple syrup & pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg & ginger)
- Savory: salt & pepper; garlic powder & Parmesan.
- “Ranch”: garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, fresh chives; cumin, paprika & chili powder
- Spicy: lime juice, chili powder & cayenne; brown sugar & cayenne