Green Bean and Garbanzo Bean Salad
This is a quick, crowd-pleasing addition to any picnic or family gathering. Garbanzo beans, also called chickpeas, are packed with protein and fiber.
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 can (15.5-ounce) garbanzo beans
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Wash beans and trim ends. Cut into 2-inch lengths. Peel and finely chop red onion and garlic.
Wipe off top of garbanzo bean can. Drain and rinse beans.
Steam green beans until tender-crisp, about 7 minutes.
Place steamed green beans and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, chopped garlic, basil, salt, pepper and oil.
Add dressing to bean mixture and stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Purchase green beans that are firm enough to snap when bent. Avoid any that are browning or limp. Buying beans in bulk allows you to pick the best ones.
- When purchasing canned vegetables, check the label for “no salt added” or “reduced sodium” if available. Rinsing canned vegetables for 3 minutes reduces about half of the salt.
- Frozen green beans work well in this recipe. Cook according to package directions and drain before adding to garbanzo beans.
- Fresh basil may be used instead of dry. When using fresh herbs, use 1 tablespoon fresh for one teaspoon of dry.
- Any heart-healthy oil may be used. Olive oil and safflower oil are good choices.
- Use any type of vinegar that you prefer.