Crunchy Apple Salad
This sweet, crunchy salad will please kids and adults. This recipe can also be enjoyed as a light dessert. The colorful mixture of red and green apples looks festive on a holiday table.
- 6 tablespoons low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 6 tablespoons low-fat whipped topping
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium red apples
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
Wash apples. Do not peel. Core and roughly chop.
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, whipped topping and cinnamon.
Add apples and cranberries. Toss to coat.
Sprinkle with nuts before serving.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- It’s important to use the right kind of apple for your recipe. Some good apples for salads are Fuji, Honeycrisp, Gala, McIntosh, Granny Smith and Jonagold.
- Apples are cheaper when purchased in bags, but consider whether they will all be used.
- Choose apples without soft spots, bruises or blemishes.
- Instead of cinnamon, try an apple pie spice blend.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
- Use different apples according to availability, or swap in a ripe pear.
- Try toasting nuts before using to bring out their flavor.