Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Try this version of a family favorite. Simple, quick and satisfying, this uses sweet potatoes for extra fiber and nutrition.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Wash, peel and grate sweet potatoes. Finely chop onion.
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, salt and pepper.
Heat skillet to medium-high and add oil.
Add onion mixture to skillet, either all at once or separated into patties.
Cook mixture for 5-7 minutes, then turn over and cook another 5 minutes on the other side until golden brown.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Look for sweet potatoes that feel heavy for their size and have no bruises, soft spots or sign of sprouting. Handle them gently; they bruise easily.
- Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place for up to a week. Do not refrigerate.
- Sweet potatoes are not true “yams,” even though it is a common name.
- To save time, use frozen, shredded sweet potatoes.
- Enjoy for breakfast with eggs and fruit or as a side dish with dinner.
- Add a pinch or two of cinnamon or nutmeg for additional flavor.