Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce wraps are a high-protein, savory snack. The crispy crunch of the lettuce pairs well with the meaty filling. Have the filling prepared in advance for a quick energy boost. These could also be served as a lunch or dinner.
- 1 pound ground turkey (85% lean)
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, reduced sodium
- 6 iceberg lettuce leaves
Wipe off top of the can of water chestnuts. Drain, rinse and chop. Wash, separate and dry lettuce leaves.
Heat oil in a skillet or heavy saucepan and add turkey. Stir and cook until browned.
Mix the water, cornstarch and teriyaki sauce.
Add mixture and water chestnuts to cooked turkey. Cook and stir until thickened.
Serve on a lettuce leaf.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- Use any kind of greens you like. Try butter lettuce, romaine, kale or chard.
- When buying lettuce, look for full green leaves. Avoid lettuce with brown spots and wilting leaves.
- Add a few chopped peanuts for more crunch.
- Cooked, shredded chicken or pork is also a good filling for lettuce wraps.
- Adding more vegetables will boost nutrition and make the filling go further. Try adding some chopped celery, shredded carrots, minced onion or diced sweet peppers.
- Mashed beans can be used in place of meat to make this a vegetarian meal.
- Make filling ahead of time and use within 3-4 days.