Strawberry Cucumber Salad
This honey-balsamic cucumber and strawberry salad is beyond refreshing. It is a healthy recipe that integrates an acidic flavor with sweetness. A perfect side dish for a picnic, lunch or snack.
- 2 pints strawberries
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (white or regular)
- 1/4 cup honey
Wash the strawberries and cucumbers. Stem the strawberries and slice them.
Peel the cucumbers roughly. Slice thin with a knife or vegetable peeler.
In a medium sized bowl, layer the strawberries and cucumbers in a fan shape. Place them one after the other and keep going all the way around.
In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and honey. Drizzle over the salad and serve immediately.
Smart Shopping Tips
Cooking & Serving Tips:
- When purchasing cucumbers at the store, look for ones that are firm.
- Avoid cucumbers that are discolored, shriveled and have ends that are softened.
- Store the newly bought cucumber in the refrigerator unwashed. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Cucumbers should be thoroughly washed, especially if eaten raw.
- Different cucumber varieties are available at specialty shops and grown in vegetable gardens. Try varieties like Hothouse, Armenian or English Burpless for a slightly different texture and flavor.
- Cucumbers also pair well with cilantro, dill, mint, parsley, yogurt, onions, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Some common techniques for preparing this vegetable are: raw, salads, pickle, sauté and soups.
- Try adding toppings like raisins, nuts, hemp seeds, feta or different fresh fruit.